1/1 Photo of Basbousa - Semolina Cakes With Syrup
Nana Lee's Note:
From Saad Fayed, I love basbousa with coffee after a good meal. They are just enough to add that extra "umpf" to a meal. The syrup is not too sugary, but sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth. Cooling period of 20 minutes not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole milk
- blanched almond halve
- whipped cream
- 1Prepare syrup first.
- 2Dissolve sugar inwater in a medium saucepan.
- 3Add lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- 4Once the syrup begins to boil, add in honey.
- 5Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and set aside.
- 7Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 8Lightly grease and flour a 9x12 baking dish.
- 9Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla.
- 10In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda.
- 11Slowly add to butter and egg mixture.
- 12Stir in milk.
- 13Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon.
- 14Take a butter knife and make diagonal lines from left to right and complete to make diamond shapes.
- 15Place an almond in the center of each diamond.
- 16Bake for 25 minutes.
- 17Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake until no more can be absorbed.
- 18Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- 19Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basbousa - Semolina Cakes With Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.9
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.3 mg
- Sodium 197.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 22.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g