This is a traditional middle eastern dessert. Semolina is the main ingredient.
Make and share this Basbousa(بسبوسة) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Melt butter, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine sugar and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Combine the semolina, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Add semolina mixture to buttermilk mixture, mix well, then add melted butter, and mix well.
- Spray an 11x7 inch pan with cooking spray, pour in the mixture; You may also use a 13x9 inch pan, and bake for 25 minutes instead of 30.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, pour sugar syrup over it while still warm.
- This is usually served with tea or coffee.
- ------ Sugar Syrup ----------.
- Combine sugar, water and juice of half a lemon in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, mixture should thicken when it cools.