Recipe by najwa
This is a traditional middle eastern dessert. Semolina is the main ingredient.
Top Review by Mirj
This is an excellent version of one of my favorite local desserts. I made this with orange juice instead of lemon, and it was delicious! This is not a cake typical to American palates, but I highly suggest everyone try this at least once!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Melt butter, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine sugar and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Combine the semolina, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Add semolina mixture to buttermilk mixture, mix well, then add melted butter, and mix well.
- Spray an 11x7 inch pan with cooking spray, pour in the mixture; You may also use a 13x9 inch pan, and bake for 25 minutes instead of 30.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, pour sugar syrup over it while still warm.
- This is usually served with tea or coffee.
- ------ Sugar Syrup ----------.
- Combine sugar, water and juice of half a lemon in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, mixture should thicken when it cools.