Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
this is the perfect palette pleaser.... its delicate n just sweet and exotic enough for any and every occasion. i have tried quite a few of these recipes and ended up combining them to my liking and ended up with what i consider the best...the best part is, it doesn't take a lot of time to prepare or bake and the longer it stays, the lovelier it tastes. my advice, bake from the night before...hope u enjoy it! :)
- 453.59 g white sugar
- 340.19 g water
- 2 limes, zest of
- 44.37 ml honey
- 2.46 ml rose water or 2.46 ml rose essence
- 709.77 ml semolina
- 226.79 g plain white flour
- 354.88 ml milk (use the juice of the 3 limes into the milk and make into yogurt about an hour ahead of baking time)
- 236.64 ml softened butter
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 236.59 ml dried coconut flakes
- 226.79 g white sugar
- 3 eggs
- whole almond (for garnishing)
- prepare the syrup and set aside to cool. place all ingredients into the pot except the rose essence on a low heat and bring to a boil. do not let it become overly thick but slightly so. when the syrup is almost completed, then put the essence into it and turn off heat and set aside.
- place all dry ingredients in a huge mixing bowl and mix in the butter with it.
- add eggs and yogurt and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- place in a 9" by 13" baking dish and put in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 - 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- remove from oven and cut into small squares,place an almond on each square and place in oven again for 5 - 10 minutes.
- remove from oven and pour syrup all over cake and leave to cool. make certain that most of the syrup, if not all is used. the syrup is what gives the best tatste.
Oh BABY!! This is very easy & over the top fabulous! I think I have a photo of what was left after the vultures were finished. I did forget to add the coconut so i sprinkled it over the top, lol. Still yummy. I rationalized eating so much by saying it was healthy because it was made with yogurt! Made for Go to Saudi Arabia in the NA/ME Forum 6/13.