Recipe by Doraholix
This has been a favorite dessert in many Middle Eastern and North African countries- this is my mother's recipe. It's very simple and easy to remember.
Top Review by dubaubel
I know nothing about Middle Eastern food, but for a 7th grade World Fair project for my son, we had to find something from Saudi Arabia. This recipe was easy & it was a hit (although I'm sure all the students were bouncing off the walls considering the sugar content!). Like the other suggestions, we also cut down the sugar in the syrup. LOVE the cinnamon/vanilla/lime combo! We will make this again because it's so yummy!
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 lemons or 1⁄2 lime
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder very well in large bowl.
- Melt butter, add into mixture.
- Add yogurt into the mixture, mix well.
- Add eggs, mix well again.
- Beat mixture for 2 minutes til there are no lumps.
- Pour into 9 X 13 inch baking pan brushed with very little oil.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 45 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, prepare the syrup:.
- Mix 3 cups sugar & one cup water in a pot, put on stove on high heat.
- Add in vanilla and cinnamon stick. Stir well.
- Squeeze half lemon into mixture, drop the lemon itself in there after squeezing.
- Mix well, let boil for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- After cake is a golden color (after about 45 mins), remove from oven, and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup onto the whole cake, let cool. Cut into as many pieces as you like.