This has been a favorite dessert in many Middle Eastern and North African countries- this is my mother's recipe. It's very simple and easy to remember.
- First make the cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder very well in large bowl.
- Melt butter, add into mixture.
- Add yogurt into the mixture, mix well.
- Add eggs, mix well again.
- Beat mixture for 2 minutes til there are no lumps.
- Pour into 9 X 13 inch baking pan brushed with very little oil.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for 45 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, prepare the syrup:.
- Mix 3 cups sugar & one cup water in a pot, put on stove on high heat.
- Add in vanilla and cinnamon stick. Stir well.
- Squeeze half lemon into mixture, drop the lemon itself in there after squeezing.
- Mix well, let boil for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- After cake is a golden color (after about 45 mins), remove from oven, and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup onto the whole cake, let cool. Cut into as many pieces as you like.