1 hr 5 mins
Basboosa are thin semolina squares covered in a honey and lemon syrup. Very Middle Eastern, this goes great with some sweet Turkish coffee or some mint tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make the syrup: Peel the lemon with a potato peeler to get flat strips of peel.
- 2Juice the lemon.
- 3Bring the sugar, water, and lemon juice to a boil.
- 4Throw in the rind of the lemon.
- 5Boil until the lemon rind is hard or the mixture is a runny syrup consistency.
- 6Add the honey.
- 7Set aside while you make the basboosa.
- 8Mix the semolina, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- 9Add the oil and mix until all the batter is well blended.
- 10Grease a large cookie sheet tray (10 x 16 inches).
- 11Add the milk just before you are about to bake.
- 12Dot the mixture into the greased pan by spoonfuls.
- 13Level the mixture with your hand (dipped in milk).
- 14Shake the tray to level.
- 15Bake for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.
- 16Cut into squares and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- 17Pour the syrup over the basboosa immediately after you remove it from the oven the last time.
Nutritional Facts for Basboosa
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.3
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 28.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 3.5 g