Recipe by Bec
This is a recipe from Bartolino's restaurant. It's delicious with the meatballs I have posted, or with pasta alone. Serve over 8 ounces dried pasta, cooked according to package directions.
Top Review by redwine
Easy and delicious,a lighter "red gravy" than store bought jar or canned sauce. Basic sauce, basic ingredients what could be more fitting to any dry pasta that you may have on your shelf.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup snipped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, wine (if you like), salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in basil and sugar.
- Cover; cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve over pasta.