Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Polish soup pronounced Barstch is served on Christmas Eve.(A few dried mushroom pieces can be added for extra flavor--optional). My family loves putting a scoop of mashed potatoes right into the soup. Garnish any way you enjoy.
- 32 ounces canned beets
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- port wine, to drizzle
- Reserve beet juice. Grate beets and onions. Add to soup pot.
- Add water, and vegetable stock. (A few dried mushroom pieces can be added for extra flavor--optional).
- Cook 30 minutes.
- Whisk together reserved juice, vinegar, lemon juice, & sugar . Add to boiling soup, simmer at 10 minutes more. Adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with your choice.
Easy soup that is unusual and good. I added the mushrooms for some extra flavor but did not add the sugar. Made for ZWT 4.
You had me until "canned beets." Beets are somewhat cheap and if you roast them first make a much better borsch. Too much water too, use stock for more flavor.
I made this following the directions to the "T" and it was NASY!!