Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The restaurant at Barren River State Park near my home is considered to be quite fancy. However their reputation is interpreted, this salad they serve is terrifically easy, light, and makes a huge amount. This is great to take to big bbq's or church meetings.
- 3 large Red Delicious apples, cored and diced with peel on (or 6 small)
- 3 large granny smith apples, cored and diced with peel on (6 small)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- celery, chopped, if desired
- 1 lb red grapes
- 1 lb green grape
- 1⁄2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- powdered sugar, to taste, if apples are not very sweet
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients.
- Toss together apples, nuts, coconut, and stir in dressing to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hours or until serving.
I too loved the orange flavored dressing. I used toasted pecans (what I had) and this turned out beautifully. Thanks Redneck!
I love the orange flavored dressing on this crunchy salad! I toasted the walnuts to make them crunchy and I think next time I may add a little of the orange zest as well just for color. A real Fall gem just in time for apple season here. Thanks for sharing.
This was good - made it exactly as written for Christmas Eve. I was hoping for a big hit - and something to keep on the menu for the future, but the fam just didn't get too excited. I don't know why - but I think maybe the color of the dressing put them off a bit (it was yellowish due to the OJ). Full disclosure - my family is compromised of some world class picky eaters! I definitely think I'd make it again - - maybe find a way to tweak it a bit.....celery, toasted whole pecans instead of pieces....maybe just Granny Smith apples......I think the basics are definitely here!