The ONLY recipe my father ever had. NOTE: I didn't say HE ever MADE it; that was my mother's job! A pure potato soup, no cheese, bacon, dill or other exotic ingredients. A true peasant recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, cubed very fine
- 3 stalks celery, cut not too fine
- 5 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 cups water, to boil potatoes
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (optional) or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (optional)
- 1/2 pint sweet cream or 1/2 pint half-and-half or 1/2 pint milk
- salt and pepper (no salt if using bouillon)
- 1Saute celery and onion in a little butter until slightly tender but not brown.
- 2Cook potatoes and pinch of sugar in 3 cups of water until tender. (If using bouillon cubes, add before boiling potatoes. Use NO Salt in the water if using the bouillon cubes. Add in the celery and onions.
- 3Add 1/2 pint of sweet cream (can use milk), bring to simmer. Or use half-and-half.
- 4Add salt (if needed) and pepper to taste. Paprika for coloring. Sprinkle with parsley.
- 5You can sneak in a pat of butter before serving.
- 6Cooking Tips: Add as much milk or cream as necessary to suit your taste.
- 7Mash or crush potatoes to suit your taste. Or not!
- 8Don't sub or add dry milk; it gives an off-flavor.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barney J's Polish Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (768 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.9
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 82.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 11.5 g