Recipe by Tebo
Another way to use up some of those plentiful zucchinies. The barley adds fiber and is a tasty change to potatoes. Different liquids can give a new dimention to the dish. Beef stock, fruit juice, lemon juice in the water can be used with good results.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Very nice dish. The only thing I changed was, I added the zucchini in with the rest of the vegetables and broth. The recipe doesn't give an oven temp., so I set it at 375 degrees and baked it 50 min. Came out just right. :)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 medium zucchini, unpeeled, grated and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup parsley or 1⁄4 cup cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat in frypan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add broth, thyme, seasonings, carrot and barley.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and parsley.
- Cover and bake until liquid is absorbed and zucchini is tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- For Vegetarian use the water.