Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Another way to use up some of those plentiful zucchinies. The barley adds fiber and is a tasty change to potatoes. Different liquids can give a new dimention to the dish. Beef stock, fruit juice, lemon juice in the water can be used with good results.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 medium zucchini, unpeeled, grated and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup parsley or 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- Heat oil over medium heat in frypan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add broth, thyme, seasonings, carrot and barley.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and parsley.
- Cover and bake until liquid is absorbed and zucchini is tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- For Vegetarian use the water.
Very nice dish. The only thing I changed was, I added the zucchini in with the rest of the vegetables and broth. The recipe doesn't give an oven temp., so I set it at 375 degrees and baked it 50 min. Came out just right. :)