Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was an experiment cooking barley for the first time. It turned out fairly good. I'll probably make a few adjustments for the next time. I'm posting just to find out the calorie information.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in skillet, add carrots, celery and onions. Saute until onions are transparent.
- Add barley. Saute for a couple minutes. Add salsa and mix everything together.
- Pour mixture into 13 x 9 baking dish. Cover and cook for 1 to 1 1/4 hour or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven and let rest covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and enjoy.