Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Timing means a lot.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole hulled barley
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Add salt to 3 cups water and bring to a boil in a saucepan.
- Rinse barley thoroughly and drain.
- Add barley to boiling water.
- As soon as the water starts to boil again reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or it is tender with a kernel in the middle.
- Heat oil in medium heat in a skillet after barley has been cooking for 30 minutes.
- Saute carrots in oil for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add onion to skillet and saute until just transparent.
- Continue to stir.
- Add mushroom slices to skillet and saute until they darken slightly.
- Drain barley and add to vegetables in the skillet.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir together and serve as soon as possible.