Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found in local paper.
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs, italian style
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium chopped fennel
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 doz littleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 3 cups cooked pearl barley
- 1⁄3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- In a fry pan over med heat combine bread crumbs and 1 tsp oil and stir, until toasted brown. Set aside to cool.
- In large saucepan over med heat add remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add onion and fennel, reduce heat to medium low and cook stirring until softened. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for 1 more minute.
- Add the wine, tomato and clams and increase heat to high. Cook for 5-7 minutes Checking the clams.the one's that don't open.this away. The opened clams,put in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the barley to the clam liquid left in the saucepan and heat over medium,stirring for 3 minutes.
- Return clams to the pan and cook until they are heated through. Ladle mixture into 4 pasta bowls and top each with a 1/4 of the sauteed bread crumbs and parsley.