Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
interesting earthy alternative to rice
- 118.29 ml wild rice
- 118.29 ml pearl barley
- 709.77 ml water
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 118.29 ml mixed mushrooms, minced (or use a drained small can, the food processor works fine to mince)
- 1 vegetarian beef stock cube
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml liquid smoke
- 4.92 ml dill
- salt, to taste
- 59.14 ml red wine (optional)
- 44.37 ml light sour cream (optional)
- rinse wild rice, combine with water, broth cube, wine if using, and shitakes and bring to a boil, cover, simmer for 20 minute.
- rinse barley and add to wild rice, simmer, covered, another 25 minute.
- pull out shitakes and blend in a food processor or small chopper till the same consistency as barley, stir back in
- add spices, liquid smoke and fresh or canned mushrooms and warm through.
- stir in sour cream if using. sometimes i use some shredded sharp cheese instead.