Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
interesting earthy alternative to rice
Make and share this Barley Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms, minced (or use a drained small can, the food processor works fine to mince)
- 1 vegetarian beef stock cube
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon dill
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream (optional)
- rinse wild rice, combine with water, broth cube, wine if using, and shitakes and bring to a boil, cover, simmer for 20 minute.
- rinse barley and add to wild rice, simmer, covered, another 25 minute.
- pull out shitakes and blend in a food processor or small chopper till the same consistency as barley, stir back in
- add spices, liquid smoke and fresh or canned mushrooms and warm through.
- stir in sour cream if using. sometimes i use some shredded sharp cheese instead.