Recipe by SweetChef
A great side dish - the flavors go well with Thanksgiving dinner. The recipe says serve at room temp, but we re-heated it and served it warm. Everyone really liked it.
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan with lid, boil water, add barley, wild rice and salt. Return to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 40 min or until barley is tender.
- While barley and rice is cooking, pour orange juice over cranberries and set aside.
- Drain any excess liquid from cooked barley and rice mixture. Place rice and barley in large bowl.
- Drain cranberries, reserving liquid.
- Toss cranberries with barley and rice.
- Mix 5 tbsp orange juice with lemon juice and onion. Whisk in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over barley mixture.
- Add chopped parsley and walnuts. Mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.