Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great side dish - the flavors go well with Thanksgiving dinner. The recipe says serve at room temp, but we re-heated it and served it warm. Everyone really liked it.
- In medium saucepan with lid, boil water, add barley, wild rice and salt. Return to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 40 min or until barley is tender.
- While barley and rice is cooking, pour orange juice over cranberries and set aside.
- Drain any excess liquid from cooked barley and rice mixture. Place rice and barley in large bowl.
- Drain cranberries, reserving liquid.
- Toss cranberries with barley and rice.
- Mix 5 tbsp orange juice with lemon juice and onion. Whisk in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over barley mixture.
- Add chopped parsley and walnuts. Mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Quite good, but a little bland. I had no fresh parsley and I used pecans instead of walnuts, that may have been it. Made for Spring PAC 2013