1/8 Photos of Barley Vegetable Soup
2 hrs 15 mins
Barley has been cultivated since the Stone Age and fermented to make beer soon after. Folk medicine has made use of barley water, made by simply soaking barley in water, as a tonic during convalescence. "Pearl" barley is the name of the grain when it's been polished, after the husk and bran have been removed. It's the form most commonly used in soups. This grain has one significant health advantage compared to most other cereal grains (oats and corn for example) it is very low on the glycemic index. Enjoy this old fashioned, hearty soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan, combine the barley and 3 cups of vegetable stock.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- 4Cover and cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- 5Add the remaining vegetable stock and simmer 30 minutes, covered.
- 6Add the barley and simmer 5 minutes more.
- 7Add salt to taste and ladle into bowls.
- 8Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.9
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: