Prep 8 mins
Cook 45 mins
Have sad looking vegetables? Don't throw them away! Make this wonderful veggie soup. The zucchini is added last otherwise it will become mush.
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup barley, uncooked
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup frozen edamame
- 5 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Saute the first 4 ingredients for 5 minutes
- Add remaining vegetables except the zucchini.
- Add water, bouillon cubes and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add your zucchini and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Made this today for DH and I for our lunch. I did cut the recipe down and used yellow squash for the zucchini (didn't have one) and towards the end for DH I put some roasted chicken in that I had left (he loves meat in most of his soups). Oh yes, I did use freshly made chicken stock and added some italian seasoning to the soup. Very good and one I will definately make again. Thank you. Made for New Kids on the Block tag game and also Topic of the Month Forum's Soup-Fest 2011 tag game.