Recipe by petlover
easy, healthy and wonderful -- serve as an appetizer with crusty bread.
Top Review by zaar junkie
This soup was pretty good, it reminded me of porridge though. I used veggie broth in place of chicken and had only 8 oz. of shiitake mushrooms. I used double the spices and added crushed red pepper flakes. I would probably make this again. Thank you for posting.
- 4 carrots
- 4 stalk celery
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet onion
- 425.24 g can shiitake mushrooms
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 1892.72 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml frozen baby peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in soup pot.
- Chop all vegetables and cook in oil- over medium heat until soft- about 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, mushrooms and barley-cook for one minute.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and bring to a boil again then reduce to a simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve .