Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen kernel corn
- 1⁄4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- In crock pot place beans, corn, barley, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, carrot, celery, garlic& seasonings.
- Pour broth over all.
- Cover, cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.
I was so happy to find a meatless barley soup recipe, and this is a good one. I stuck pretty close to the recipe - I did use quite a bit more garlic, pepper and herbs than called for, and instead of the canned red beans I used a cup each of Great Northern and pinto beans (I cook large batches of dry beans and freeze them for later). When the soup was done, I felt it needed a little something so I put in a bit of basalmic vinegar. This soup reminds me a lot of minestrone. It has a wonderful Italian tomato and herb aroma, it's colorful, and has a nice blend of flavors and textures. I actually left mine on LOW for over 12 hours, and that was fine. I had some of the leftovers for lunch and it reheated perfectly. Thanks so much for this delicious recipe.