Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I first made the original version of this about 20 years ago -- Jane Brody's Crunchy Barley Salad. After years of experimenting with it, the most recent incarnation is my favorite yet. Though it can be served warm or cold, I prefer it after it has chilled for several hours at least (overnight is best!).
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, diced or 1⁄2 cup halved cherry tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup halved grape tomatoes (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a medium saucepan with lid, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Stir in 1 cup pearl barley and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir the dressing into the cooked barley while the barley is still hot.
- Let sit for five to ten minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients to the barley.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours-- overnight if possible.