Recipe by cookin' from scratch
Found on barleyfoods.com and adapted to our tastes. You can make your barley in advance to cut cooking itme.
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup egg white
- 1 tablespoon lemon concentrate
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 2-1/4 cups water and bring to boil. Add 3/4 cup pearl barley, return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Brown turkey in large frying pan. When done, turn heat down and add milk, cheese, lemon, Worcestershire, dill, mustard, and egg whites. Mix well.
- Rinse beans very well in a colander under running water, and add drained beans and cooked barley to frying pan. Stir to combine.
- Cook for additional 2-3 minutes over medium heat and serve.