Recipe by Dancer^
Barley’s nutty flavor goes well with onions, mushrooms, or peas. Butternut squash also is a good complement. This large, pear-shaped winter squash has sweet, orange flesh. With onion, green pepper and sage, you’ll be glad you had turkey leftovers.
Top Review by LaJuneBug
Great low-fat, healthy meal. I par-cooked the butternut squash and the barley in the microwave and cooked the chicken, onions, and bell peppers in an oven-proof skillet. I combined all the ingredients and put the entire skillet into the oven. Thanks for posting!
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 lb turkey breast, cooked, cubed or 1⁄2 lb diced turkey
- 2 small butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of rapidly boiling water, boil squash halves 5 minutes or until not quite tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh from each half and dice.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add green pepper, onion and diced squash.
- Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add sage and pepper and stir to coat.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add barley and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes, until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in diced turkey.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and top with feta cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden.