1/1 Photo of Barley, Turkey and Butternut Squash Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
Barley’s nutty flavor goes well with onions, mushrooms, or peas. Butternut squash also is a good complement. This large, pear-shaped winter squash has sweet, orange flesh. With onion, green pepper and sage, you’ll be glad you had turkey leftovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1/2 lb turkey breast, cooked, cubed or 1/2 lb diced turkey
- 2 small butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Coat a 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3In a large pot of rapidly boiling water, boil squash halves 5 minutes or until not quite tender.
- 5When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh from each half and dice.
- 6Set aside.
- 7In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- 8Add green pepper, onion and diced squash.
- 9Sauté 3 minutes.
- 10Add sage and pepper and stir to coat.
- 11Add broth and bring to a boil.
- 12Add barley and return to boil.
- 13Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes, until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 14Mix in diced turkey.
- 15Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and top with feta cheese.
- 16Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley, Turkey and Butternut Squash Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.8
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.6 mg
- Sodium 177.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth