Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Out of Self Magazine
Make and share this Barley Tabbouleh recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 5 cups fat-free vegetables or 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, skin on, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Combine barley and broth in a large saucepan. Set pain over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes, until barley is tender.
- Drain any excess water and transfer barley to a large bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, and oregano. Toss to combine. Add vegetables and parsley; toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled.
This was a nice healthy side dish and a good alternative to rice. I used chicken broth. It does make a lot!
So good! I made this with chicken broth and I skipped the onion or my one boy wouldn't have eaten it! We had the tabbouleh with stuffed chicken breasts and we all really enjoyed it. I have a lot of leftovers so we will be enjoying this for a couple of days more! :) Made for Went to the Market tag game. Thanks Ck2plz! :)