Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Classically refreshing with a barley twist for RSC 10. This recipe passed the very high nutrition & taste standards of my taste testers. Cook time doesn't include chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered & sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (or cherry tomatoes, quartered)
- 2 cups minced parsley
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Boil the barley in plenty of salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and chill.
- Soak bulgur in 2 cups boiling water for approximately 15 minutes until softened. Drain and chill.
- Combine grains, carrot, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, and parsley. Toss well.
- Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Add to salad and toss well to combine.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and serve.
LOVE this!!! I've done it with all barley, half and half as written, and trying it tomorrow with barley and quinoa~~~GREAT recipe and much more budget friendly!!! (besides being OK for gluten intolerants)
Another winner here. I love salads like this. It makes quite a large amount and keeps really well which all leads to making the evening meal a breeze. The barley cooked up perfectly and mad a pleasant change to other grains or couscous. I didn't take a picture as I didn't have quite enough parsley or tomatoes on hand. Tasted gorgeous anyway. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap March 2012 and November 2012 Aussie / Kiwi Swap. I hadn't realized until now that I had already made and reviewed it. Still awesome.
I made this as written apart from using regular tomatoes and a bit of mint. I loved the chewy texture of the barley along with the crisp veg and the zing of the herbs. My lemons were extremely juicy, so I only used 1 1/2. I'm so happy we have leftovers of this delicious salad.