Recipe by Elmotoo
Classically refreshing with a barley twist for RSC 10. This recipe passed the very high nutrition & taste standards of my taste testers. Cook time doesn't include chilling time.
Top Review by dgpat
LOVE this!!! I've done it with all barley, half and half as written, and trying it tomorrow with barley and quinoa~~~GREAT recipe and much more budget friendly!!! (besides being OK for gluten intolerants)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered & sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (or cherry tomatoes, quartered)
- 2 cups minced parsley
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the barley in plenty of salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well and chill.
- Soak bulgur in 2 cups boiling water for approximately 15 minutes until softened. Drain and chill.
- Combine grains, carrot, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, and parsley. Toss well.
- Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Add to salad and toss well to combine.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and serve.