Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
You won't miss the meat in this rich and satisfying meal
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large portabello mushroom cap, diced small
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 dash black pepper
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Microwave, flat side down on a paper towel for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Let cool a bit and scoop out pulp to form each half into a "boat".
- Put "boats" aside.
- Chop zucchini pulp.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine broth, mushrooms and barley.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked barley mixture, chopped zucchini pulp, bread crumbs, thyme, black pepper, black eyed peas and 1/8 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Fill zucchini with filling.
- Place remaining filling into a greased baking pan.
- Place filled zucchini "boats" on top of stuffing.
- Pour can of tomatoes (with liquid) evenly on top of zucchini.
- Sprinkle with 2 T. Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered @375 degrees for about 45 minutes.