1 hr 20 mins
You won't miss the meat in this rich and satisfying meal
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large portabello mushroom cap, diced small
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1Slice zucchini in half lengthwise.
- 2Microwave, flat side down on a paper towel for 3 or 4 minutes.
- 3Let cool a bit and scoop out pulp to form each half into a "boat".
- 4Put "boats" aside.
- 5Chop zucchini pulp.
- 6In a medium sauce pan, combine broth, mushrooms and barley.
- 7Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- 8In a large bowl, combine cooked barley mixture, chopped zucchini pulp, bread crumbs, thyme, black pepper, black eyed peas and 1/8 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- 9Fill zucchini with filling.
- 10Place remaining filling into a greased baking pan.
- 11Place filled zucchini "boats" on top of stuffing.
- 12Pour can of tomatoes (with liquid) evenly on top of zucchini.
- 13Sprinkle with 2 T. Parmesan cheese.
- 14Bake, uncovered @375 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Stuffed Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.5
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 1155.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with basil