Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Vegetarian Times Jan 2003.
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces presliced portabella mushrooms, cubed
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- hot pepper sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- parsley sprig (to garnish)
- Combine barley and 2 cups vegetable broth in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice tops off red peppers, and remove seeds and inner membranes. Reserve tops for later use. Place peppers on steaming rack over boiling water, and cover saucepan.
- Steam peppers for about 15 minutes, or until tender but not soft. Remove from heat, and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Sauté onion and garlic until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add barley and any remaining cooking liquid, and stir until grains are coated with oil. Add mushrooms and remaining 1 cup vegetable broth, and sauté mixture for about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms soften and liquid absorbed.
- Stir in feta, lemon juice, parsley, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Stand peppers upright, and spoon barley mixture into them. Fill each pepper, and serve with tops over the filling or propped alongside. Garnish with parsley and serve.