Recipe by Dancer^
These stuffed peppers use barley filling instead of old-fashioned hamburger stuffing, but they're just as comforting. For an eye-catching presentation, use two different colors of sweet peppers.
Top Review by Sharon123
I love stuffed peppers and this recipe was no exception! I did make a few changes, though. I already had sauteed mushrooms so I used those. I used 1/2 mozzarella and 1/2 cheddar cheese and I poured a can of spaghetti sauce and 1//2 can of water over the peppers to bake. Delicious!
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 large red sweet peppers (about 1 pound) or 2 large yellow sweet peppers (about 1 pound) or 2 large green sweet peppers (about 1 pound)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1⁄3 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion salt
- 3 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- fresh rosemary (optional)
- dried red chili pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan combine the broth, mushrooms, and barley.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Cut sweet peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes.
- If desired, precook pepper halves in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the egg, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the tomato, zucchini, bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, onion salt, and bottled hot pepper sauce.
- Stir in cooked barley mixture.
- Place peppers, cut side up, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Spoon barley mixture into the pepper halves.
- Bake stuffed peppers, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is heated through.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the peppers.
- Return to oven; bake 2 minutes more.
- Carefully transfer peppers to a serving platter.
- If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary and dried red chili peppers.