Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lovely, hearty main dish salad from the folks at the National Barley Foods Council. Cook time is chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cucumber
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Bring water to a boil in a small covered saucepan.
- Add barley and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Set aside.
- While the barley is cooking, prepare artichokes.
- Rinse artichokes.
- Cut off stems at base and remove small bottom leaves.
- Stand artichokes upside down in deep saucepan, just large enough to hold them snugly in place.
- Add salt and 2 to 3 inches boiling water to artichokes.
- Cover and boil gently for 35 to 45 minutes or until artichoke bases can be pierced easily with fork (adding more boiling water if necessary to prevent scorching).
- Remove artichokes from saucepan; turn upside down to drain and cool.
- When cool, gently spread artichoke leaves to reveal center cone of leaves.
- Pull out center cone and scrape out any purple-tipped leaves and fuzz from each artichoke center; discard.
- Combine cooked barley, cucumber, bell pepper, almonds and green onion in medium bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients together; toss with barley mixture.
- Refrigerate barley for 30 minutes.
- Spoon equal amounts of chilled barley mixture into centers of artichokes and serve.