Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Hearty and rich on a cold day!
- 453.59 g beef stew meat
- 78.07 ml diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 283.49 g can beef broth
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml pearl barley
- 29.58 ml ketchup
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- Brown meat, onion and garlic in 2T.
- olive oil in a 3-4qt.
- Stir in remaining ingredients EXCEPT mushrooms and sour cream.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover; cook over low heat for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; continue cooking 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice.
- CROCK POT VARIATION: Reduce water to 1/2cup.
- Combine all ingredients except mushrooms and sour cream and place in crock pot.
- Cover; cook on low heat 7-8 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms; cover, cook on high heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in sour cream.
For flavor this deserves a 5* plus, the stew beef was as tender as it could be (used my new 'Pan' lol for this to brown the beef in, but choosed the crockpot technique, but the barley swelled up so-it resembled 'glop' as my DS's referred to it as! Great flavor, but next time I would try adding the barley perhaps 2 hours before cooktime is complete, but indeed it was Hearty, something that would be great to pack into thermos's for hunters and ice fishing, stick to your belly meal for sure! Thanks Joy1996!
I really enjoyed this recipe. made a few changes with what I had on hand. Used 1lb ground beef and browned with the garlic and onion without the added olive oil. Also since I used a shallow saute pan, I only needed to cook over low heat for about 45 minutes (the liquid was almost gone but barley was done). Then added mushrooms and cooked for only 10 minutes more. Really liked the barley with the beef, makes it very hearty. like comfort food.