Recipe by Dancer^
I make this last night, we had it with a grilled chicken breast and bread sticks. Very tasty and filling. Points 2.
Top Review by jolenecaruana
I love this recipe. Very easy to make even though the barley takes long to cook. I need more water for the barley than the recipe stated. Had the leftovers for lunch with a poached egg and it tasted even better than it did when fresh. Thanks for posting
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
- 8 snow peas, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger, grated, peeled, according to taste
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce or 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in deep saucepan.
- Add barley. When liquid returns to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until barley is almost tender.
- Makes 2 cups cooked barley.
- Heat the oil in a medium, non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Stir-fry onion and red pepper 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry until they look moist, about 1 minute.
- Add snow peas, scallions, ginger, and stir-fry 15 seconds.
- Add cooked barley, orange juice, teriyaki sauce, and salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Cook until barley is heated through.
- Serve immediately.