Recipe by Cadillacgirl
This is from Canadian chef Ricardo - it can easily be made vegetarian with veggies broth or into a whole meal by adding shrimp in at the end with the tomatoes and peas. Even my baby girl likes it!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 (540 ml) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, soften the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the oil with the paprika and saffron. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the barley, chickpeas, and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently, stirring frequently, for about 50 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed and the barley is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and peas. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.