Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from Canadian chef Ricardo - it can easily be made vegetarian with veggies broth or into a whole meal by adding shrimp in at the end with the tomatoes and peas. Even my baby girl likes it!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 (540 ml) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, soften the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the oil with the paprika and saffron. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the barley, chickpeas, and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently, stirring frequently, for about 50 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed and the barley is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and peas. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
We love barley and this was one of the best barley recipes I have tried. I will make this again and again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Made this delicious stew tonight for dinner and it is wonderfully delicious and hearty. I sent DH to the grocery for me and instead of pearl barley, he came back with regular barley. It was still excellent despite that one change. I'll definitely be making this again -- it is so easy and healthy. Made for ZWT9-N. Africa - Morocco & Tunisia.
Easy to put together and packed with flavor...made for ZWT #9, this dish is a keeper!