Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a flavorful and hearty soup -special enough for company.
Make and share this Barley Soup With Smoked Sausage and Prosciutto recipe from Food.com.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large leek, white and pale green part, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb chunk prosciutto, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 quart water
- 3 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2-1 lb smoked bratwurst, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a heavy soup pot, cook the vegetables and prosciutto in butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in barley and black-eyed peas, and cook another minute.
- Add broths and water; simmer uncovered for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add sausage and simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I use the food processor to chop (separately) the prosciutto and vegetables.
- This soup freezes well.