1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Northwest Lynnie's Note:
This is a flavorful and hearty soup -special enough for company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large leek, white and pale green part, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 lb chunk prosciutto, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 quart water
- 3 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2-1 lb smoked bratwurst, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1In a heavy soup pot, cook the vegetables and prosciutto in butter over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in barley and black-eyed peas, and cook another minute.
- 3Add broths and water; simmer uncovered for 1 1/4 hours.
- 4Add sausage and simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6I use the food processor to chop (separately) the prosciutto and vegetables.
- 7This soup freezes well.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Soup With Smoked Sausage and Prosciutto
Serving Size: 1 (2238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.9
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 59.4 mg
- Sodium 606.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth