Recipe by Sharon123
Nutty tasting barley and sweet celery root turn this soup into comfort food! To speed up cooking time, replace the pearl barley with quick-cooking barley, add it with the carrots and celery root and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes total. Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine(2006).
Top Review by Rita~
Lovely vegetarian soup! It brought back memories of my Moms barley soup that she made with leeks. I did find that I missed the heartiness of the meat and OR mushrooms. The dill and lemon made this more of a summer soup making it nice and light. So I wil try it in warmer weather. For barley is one of my favorite grains. Thanks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3 medium carrots, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small celery root, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring often. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in barley. Add 7 cups water and bouillon cubes.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low, skim off any froth, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery root. Cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes more, or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Just before serving, stir in dill, lemon juice and black pepper to taste. Enjoy!