Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the "Good and Garlicky Thick and Hearty Soup-Satisfying More than Minestrone Italian Soup Cookbook". I found this recipe on the Fine Cooking site and immediately bought the cookbook. My favorite soup.
- 2365.9 ml homemade chicken broth
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large onion, cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 1 large celery rib, sliced thinly
- 59.14 ml finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 14.79 ml fresh marjoram, chopped
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the barley, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Reduce the heat to a very slow but steady simmer.
- Cover and cook until the barley is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium size skillet over med-high heat.
- Add the onion, celery, parsley, marjoram and rosemary and saute until the onion begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the soup pot with the barley, scraping out the skillet with a rubber spatula.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in warmed bowls with a sprinkling of grated parmesan.
I needed to make this vegetarian so I substituted vegi broth for chicken broth, tripled the carrots and celery amounts, and added 1/2 of a small Savoy cabbage sliced thin. I used dried rosemary and marjoram. It became thick, almost a vegetable stew. My family loved it! It was very easy to make and made great left overs for the next day.