1/2 Photos of Barley Soup With Potatoes and Carrots
1 hr 15 mins
Dona England's Note:
From the "Good and Garlicky Thick and Hearty Soup-Satisfying More than Minestrone Italian Soup Cookbook". I found this recipe on the Fine Cooking site and immediately bought the cookbook. My favorite soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 1 large celery rib, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Bring the broth to a boil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Stir in the barley, 1/4 cup at a time.
- 3Reduce the heat to a very slow but steady simmer.
- 4Cover and cook until the barley is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- 5Heat the oil and butter in a medium size skillet over med-high heat.
- 6Add the onion, celery, parsley, marjoram and rosemary and saute until the onion begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes.
- 7Transfer the mixture to the soup pot with the barley, scraping out the skillet with a rubber spatula.
- 8Add the potatoes and carrots and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Serve in warmed bowls with a sprinkling of grated parmesan.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Soup With Potatoes and Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.9
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.0 mg
- Sodium 3363.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: