Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
- 4 slices bacon or 4 slices pepper bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb butternut squash (about 4 cups) or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb acorn squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth or 4 (14 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup apple juice or 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 24 frozen meatballs, thawed (about 2/3 of a 16 oz. package)
- ground black pepper
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Drain bacon on paper towels; set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender.
- Add in squash, carrots, and parsnips; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in broth, apple juice, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a boil; stir in barley.
- Decrease heat; cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Add in meatballs; heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Crumble cooked bacon and sprinkle over each serving.