Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 lb cooked small shrimp
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced red pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Cook barley in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
- Drain and rinse.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add shrimp, corn, peppers, onions, thyme and zest.
- Whisk lemon juice with salt and pepper; whisk in oil in thin stream; add to salad and toss well.
- Adjust seasoning.
- (can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and, in fact, gets better as it sits.).
Great salad! I added some dill with the thyme and we liked the spices together. It's so different when you use fresh lemons instead of Real Lemon juice. The flavors and textures are very nice. My husband had two helpings. It's great for the South Beach Diet, also. Thanks, Carole in Orlando
this is a really nice salad and does taste better if made in advance. i added some tabasco sauce for a little kick. i love the combo of corn and barley
Very nice. Something different and delicious! My Husband was skeptical, but liked it. I cook for my dad who is a "meat and potatoes man" and he lived it. I served it with grilled slamon and grilled yellow summer squash. I didn't have small shrimp, so used larger shrimp and chopped them. I was also short on fresh lemon juice so had to use a little bottled as well. Thanks for a great addition to my collection.