Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple, delicious and healthy salad. In Thailand I make it with the green pumpkins, known here as "fuktong" (try asking your 10 and 13 year olds to "pass the fuktong, please" at the dinner table and observe how that lights them up). Other hard pumpkin or squash would also work, of course.
- 2 cups pumpkin, sliced 1/3 inch think
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets (4 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped, almonds
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss pumpkin and broccoli with 4 t olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in single layer on rimmed baking sheet or sheets. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly then cut squash slices into 1 inch pieces.
- While veggies are roasting, salt 3 cups of water and boil in saucepan. Add barley. Put lid on pan and simmer about 25 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl whisk 2 T plus 2 t oil, lemon juice and shallot. Season with salt and pepper. Add everything else and season to taste with salt and pepper.