Top Review by blakesle
Dancer....this salad had wonderful texture and color. I used a bit more parley and added some minced garlic. Next time i will add some lemon zest as well. Thank you for posting. Catherine
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 10 cups water, about
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup minced scallion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoons tarragon or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 -4 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the barley in boiling water, cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 40 minutes).
- Rinse under cold water and drain.
- Stir in the bell peppers, scallions, parsley, and dill.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and stir into barley.
- VARIATIONS: Barley& Chicken Salad: Add 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey.
- Barley, Corn& Tomato Salad: Add 2 to 3 cups cooked corn kernels and 1 to 2 pints halved cherry tomatoes; and substitute 1 cup fresh basil leaves for the parsley in dressing.
- Barley Vegetable Salad: Add any combination of 2 peeled, seeded, and chopped medium cucumbers, 2 cups cooked green peas, 1 cup cooked corn kernels, 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts and 2 chopped zucchini or yellow squash.