Recipe by LIer
Barley, it isn't just for soups! This salad is a great alternative to traditional pasta salads. It can be served warm, at room temperature, and cold. If you omit the cheese this is a vegan dish.
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock base (You can find this by the chicken bullion)
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put barley, water, and vegetable base in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook covered on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour. The water should be absorbed into the barley.
- Mince onion. Dice tomatoes. Place in mixing bowl.
- Combine cooked barley and remaining ingredients in the mixing bowl with the onion and tomatoes.
- Stir and serve!