The Amazing Christy!'s Note:
In my quest to find alternatives to pasta salads (trying to live on the low glycemic index), I found some grain recipes, and many call for tabbouleh. We have a hard time finding it or bulgar wheat. A little unbelievable to me with Arrowhead Mills down the street, but I digress. I decided to try to use barley and this is one of my recipes. I took it to a 4th of July Party and everyone loved it. I hope you do too. Time does not include the barley cooking and cooling times. As a side note, my husband loved it, but thought I could have made a bit more dressing. If you can't find concentrated Pesto paste (NOT pesto in the deli, but the paste) use 1/2 tsp dried basil.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups cold medium pearl cooked barley
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons amore concentrated pesto sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 summer squash, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 1Place barley in a large bowl.
- 2Combine the cheese, oil, lemon juice, Pesto paste, garlic, salt and pepper; mix well.
- 3Pour over barley and toss to coat.
- 4Add tomatoes, zucchini, squash and olives; toss to combine.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Salad
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.4
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 246.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: