Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light. June 2007.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into wedges
- 1 medium peeled eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- cooking spray
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare salad, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Spoon barley into large bowl.
- Place peppers and eggplant on one jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; place zucchini and squash in another jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Coat vegetables with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Place pan with squash on top rack in the oven and pan with eggplant on middle rack. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender.
- Remove pan with squash, and move pan with eggplant to top rack. Bake peppers and eggplant an additional 8 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Cut vegetables into 1/2-inch pieces. Add vegetables, parsley, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to barley; toss gently.
- To prepare dressing, combine vinegar, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add dressing to barley mixture; toss. Sprinkle with cheese.