Recipe by WendyMaq
A Satisfying Barley Dish from the South Beach Diet's "Daily Dish" (Phase 2). This warm and wonderful one-pot dish is a perfect addition to any meal, will help fill you up and boost your fiber intake. It can also be made in advance to accommodate a busy schedule.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm oil in large, heavy nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring. Add barley and thyme; stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the broth; bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups broth. Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon. Cook 5 to 8 minutes, until warmed through and barley is tender yet chewy. Serve hot, garnished with cheese.