Recipe by kelly in TO
Barley and squash are such an amazing combination, this is great dish with tons of flavor served will with a tossed green salad and some apple slices for a light dinner.
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 cups barley, rinsed (not quick-cooking)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped resh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash in a shallow baking pan. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil, the kosher salt, pepper and nutmeg. Toss to coat. Roast about 30 minutes or until tender. Set aside. Place barley in another shallow baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat broth over medium heat just until simmering; reduce heat. cover and keep warm over low heat.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in toasted barley; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in wine. Cook and stir until wine is absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of the hot broth; cook, uncovered, until most of the broth is absorbed stirring frequently. Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time, cooking after each addition until broth is nearly absorbed, stirring fewquently.
- When the last of the broth has been added, cook until mixture is creamy. Total cooking time should be about 30 to 35 minutes after wine is added.
- Fold in roasted squash, parmesan cheese, thyme, and sage. Top individual servings with parsley.